President, Mr. Luther Gray at
(504) 264-DRUM (3786)
P.O. BOX 58371 NOLA70158
Since its formation in 1989, the Congo Square Preservation Society (formerly known as the Congo Square Foundation) has been the major community-based organization to resurrect programming activities in historic Congo Square.
The foundation has sponsored clean-up campaigns, garden planting, free drumming workshops, 24-hour Drumming for Life Vigils, lectures, logo and essay contests, historic research, and erected the historic Congo Square plaque in 1997.
Our most significant accomplishment was the successful campaign to place Congo Square on the National Register of Historic Places on January 27, 1993.
1) Preserve and foster respect for New Orleans’ indigenous traditions and historic places through cultural and educational programming.
2) Undertake, support and promote research on Congo Square’s history and significance in the cultural and economic development of New Orleans and the world.
3) Promote public awareness of Congo Square’s history and significance as well as vanguard its depiction in all print and electronic media.
4) Ensure that the economic development of Congo Square results in the betterment of local African-American communities.
5) Provide a group life insurance policy through the Rhodes Insurance Company.
6) Serve as a voice of consensus regarding all aspects of Congo Square on the input and direction of our local, national and international membership.